- How to Install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC and Laptop
- macOS Monterey
- Compatible devices with macOS Monterey
- How to Install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC & Laptop
- 1. Enable Virtualization on your Windows 10/11 PC
- 2. Install VirtualBox and the VirtualBox Extension Pack on your Windows 10/11 Computer
- 3. Create a New Virtual Machine for macOS 12 Monterey on Windows 10
- 4. Customize Virtual Machine of macOS Monterey
- 5. Run VirtualBox codes on CMD
- 6. Performing macOS Monterey clean installation
- Final Words
- How To Install macOS Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows – PC?
- Install macOS Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows: Complete Guide
- Step 1: Install VirtualBox and Extension Pack
- Step 2: Configure your Virtual Machine to Install macOS Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows
- Step 3. Modify macOS Monterey Virtual Machine Settings
- Step 4. Running VirtualBox Commands
- Step 5. Installing macOS Monterey on Virtualbox on Windows
How to Install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC and Laptop
I bet you’ve heard about the new OS, known as macOS Monterey, for Mac. I’m pretty sure you are here because you want to try it on your Windows 10 computer. Then you are in the right place. In this article, I will show you the best and step-by-step instructions to install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC or laptop. I need you to read this post to the end and provide your thoughts regarding our guidance.
Table of Contents
Apple has announced the next version of macOS at its WWDC keynote, after showing off iOS, iPadOS, and watchOS. It’s being called Monterey, in keeping the California location-based theme it’s had since 2013.
macOS Monterey (macOS 12) is replacing macOS Big Sur in Apple products on the market. There aren’t many changes in macOS 12, but some major updates and changes have already arrived. Its development team added some new features such as general control, Airplay on Mac, shortcuts, 3D map layout, some note updates, etc.
Apple offers a new look and background for macOS Monterey (macOS 12). The new design includes edge curves and adds a new box to settings that require administrator privileges. With the addition of general-purpose controls to macOS Monterey (macOS 12), you can use one mouse for your iPad, iMac, and MacBook. You can use not only a mouse but also a keyboard and other devices.
On June 9, 2021, the first beta of macOS Monterey (macOS 12) was available to developers. Soon after, they will release a beta that you can test without a developer account. Also, don’t forget about the final version of macOS Monterey (macOS 12), which will be available this fall, and also remember that you can download and install macOS Monterey on Windows 10 using VirtualBox, which I’ll show you step-by-step below.
Compatible devices with macOS Monterey
According to Apple, not all Apple computers can support macOS Monterey (macOS 12). Here is a list of Macs that are compatible with macOS Monterey:
- 2015 and later MacBook
- Early 2015 and later MacBook Air
- Early 2015 and later MacBook Pro
- Late 2014 and later Mac mini
- Late 2015 and later iMac
- 2017 and later iMac Pro
- Late 2013 and later Mac Pro
How to Install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC & Laptop
Below, I’ll show you how you can install macOS Monterey on your Windows 10 or 11 computer in five easy steps. The steps are as follows:
- Enable virtualization on your Windows 10/11 PC.
- Install VirtualBox and the VirtualBox Extension Pack on Windows 10/11.
- Create a New Virtual Machine for macOS 12.
- Customize macOS Monterey’s Virtual Machine.
- Running VirtualBox Codes on CMD.
- Perform a macOS Monterey clean installation.
Before starting the process, you need to download the below files:
Recommended: I recommend using an SSD on your computer, especially for speed, as most users are saying that their system is slow while using virtual machines. Also, increasing the amount of RAM on your physical computer will not cause any speed issues.
1. Enable Virtualization on your Windows 10/11 PC
Modern CPUs include hardware virtualization features that help in the acceleration of virtual machines built by VirtualBox. To use this functionality, however, you must first enable it. Please keep in mind that virtualization must be enabled on your system. Otherwise, you will see the error message “Can’t open a session on the virtual machine.” Click on the link below to learn more about it and how to install it.
2. Install VirtualBox and the VirtualBox Extension Pack on your Windows 10/11 Computer
Installing macOS Monterey on your Windows 10 or 11 computer requires installing VirtualBox first, so you need to install VirtualBox first on your PC or laptop. If you don’t want to face any errors while installing macOS Monterey, you need to install the extension pack too. If you don’t know how to install them, we have a step-by-step guide for you. Click on the link below.
3. Create a New Virtual Machine for macOS 12 Monterey on Windows 10
After installing VirtualBox on your PC and laptop, the second step to installing macOS Monterey on your Windows 10 computer is to create a virtual machine from which the macOS Monterey will boot. For that, follow the steps below:
- Go the VirtualBox and tap on new.
- Next, Tap on the expert mode, enter a name, starting with macOS.
- Once the macOS is typed the macOS version and type will be automatically selected by the VB.
- Now, you need to choose the amount of RAM for the VirtualBox, I will go with 4 GB.
- Next, select create a Virtual Hard diskNow and tap on Create to generate the VM.
- Specify the file location to save the Virtual Hard Disk, you can choose the default one or change it. Select the storage capacity of the virtual machine, and finally select the type of Virtual Hard Disk. You can choose the default Hard Disk type called VDI. Finally, remember to choose a dynamically allocated physical drive.
4. Customize Virtual Machine of macOS Monterey
Creating a virtual machine is not a big deal, but configuring and customizing it is important, so you better follow the steps below closely.
- After creating the virtual machine, you will return to the main VirtualBox page and click on macOS Monterey settings.
- Open the System tab, uncheck the floppy disk since we are not using it, also make sure that you ticked the extended features. There you see other settings like the chipset and pointing device, don’t touch them.
- For the virtual machine display settings, increase the video memory to 128MB and leave the rest unchanged. I think it would be better if you look at the screenshot below.
- In this step, we must attach the macOS Monterey ISO image to the virtual machine. Go to the Storage tab, click empty, next to attributes, click the CD icon and find the macOS 12 ISO image.
- The final setup is very simple because you need to enable USB 3.0 to solve the mouse and keyboard freezing issue. When we install the VirtualBox expansion pack, USB 3.0 is enabled, otherwise, it is disabled.
5. Run VirtualBox codes on CMD
To install and use macOS Monterey in VirtualBox on Windows 10/11, the VirtualBox code is an important factor. Since VirtualBox does not directly set macOS settings on Windows, this is where the code comes in. If the code is not applied or it is applied incorrectly, the virtual machine containing macOS will be in a loop. They must be applied carefully.
Note: Before you take another step, make sure to know the name of the VM, and then go to the File menu and choose exit.
- Open the downloaded codes, then go to the edit menu
- Next tap on Replace, replace the VM Name with the Virtual Machine you created a moment ago.
- Now open CMD and run it as administrator and copy the code and paste into CMD, then press Enter. Remember that if the code is entered incorrectly you will see an error, try to paste it correctly.
6. Performing macOS Monterey clean installation
This is the final step to install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC & laptop after completing all the four steps above. Now it is time to do a clean install of macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on your Windows 10 computer. So let’s start the installation process. Follow the below steps:
- Open the VirtualBox and start the Virtual machine of macOS Monterey. After that, a bunch of codes will appear on the screen and finally, you will be on the Apple logo.
- Next, you need to choose your language.
- Before installing the macOS Monterey (macOS 12) on the VM, you need to partition the Storage. For that, you need to go to the Disk Utility and click continue.
- Now, you need to choose the storage when you created the Virtual machine. then click erase and partition it so that the macOS Monterey should be installed in it.
- Next, Quit the Disk Utility, and in the main menu select the Install macOS 12 Beta and tap on continue.
- Now, you need to agree to the terms and conditions and select the disk so the macOS Monterey can be installed.
- Based on the Country you are living, choose it so the country input keyboard should be added by default. I have chosen the United States of America, and the OS has inserted the U.S input sources. Tap on ‘Continue‘ twice.
- I will not go for Accessibility, So, I will pass this step by clicking Not Now.
- Select ‘My computer doesn’t connect to the internet‘. Since it is a Virtual Machine Wifi does not work, ethernet is not working either because of the Virtual machine. Don’t worry, the internet is working on this type of mac. Tap on ‘Continue‘ to proceed.
- Ignore the alert and continue.
- Tap on ‘Continue‘ with data and privacy.
- Apple has provided the Migration Assistant for users who are migrating from another Mac, Windows PC. In simple words, you can transfer your files here. Since we are performing a clean installation, there is no need to configure it, So click on ‘Not Now‘.
- You have to read and agree to the macOS Monterey’s Terms and regarding the license.
- You need to create an account for your Virtual machine computer, and tap on ‘Continue‘.
- Apple is showing you that they have already enabled the location services, along with the device analytics. You can turn them off if you are concerned about security and privacy. Click on ‘Continue‘
- If you want to monitor you weekly, downtime, content, and privacy restriction, you can enable the Screen Time. Screen Time is actually is good if you are looking to monitor your work.
- The voice assistant is another feature for you to decide to enable it or not. Since these days many users are using the voice assistant, you should give Siri a try too. Tap on ‘Continue‘ to add Siri.
- Finally, Choose Your desired Look at the macOS Monterey (macOS 12) and tap on ‘Continue’.
That’s is how you can Install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC and laptop easily and with step-by-step instructions. If you have any kind of questions or encounter any kind of problem, please let me know in the comment section. Good Luck!
How To Install macOS Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows – PC?
In this post, we will show you the best and quickest way to Install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox on Windows – PC. We hope you will read all of this and give us your opinion.
Monterey seems to be a drastic improvement and from what I can tell, it will be well worth the wait. According to Apple, only MacOS Monterey (macOS 12) supported devices are listed in this screenshot.
Ensure that virtualization is enabled by default in your BIOS. It should be listed as Virtualization, so remember to check and make sure it’s on. If it’s not on you will get the Failed to Open Session For The Virtual Machine error. You can read this guide- How to Enable Virtualization in Windows 11? Easy Guide
What you need for this installation:
– Windows 10
– 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)
– 80 GB of free disk space (150 GB recommended)
– CPU: 2 Cores ( 4 recommended)
– VirtualBox Windows and Expansion Pack (found here)
– macOS Monterey ISO file (found here)
– A VirtualBox command file (download here)
Conclusion: Many users are reporting their system virtual machines are slow when running Monterey, so using a SSD will be the best way to solve this problem for now. Ensure you max out the available RAM and CPU cores to help run smoothly.
Table of Contents
Install macOS Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows: Complete Guide
Please Note: All image files are created only for educational purposes. Any misuse of any files is not our responsibility.
Before you start installing Macos Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows. Download the following files.
- Download VirtualBox and VirtualBox Extension
- Download macOS Monterey (macOS 12) ISO Image
- Download command file
Once you have downloaded these files. Let’s start with the installation of macOS Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows.
Step 1: Install VirtualBox and Extension Pack
VirtualBox and the Extension pack are needed for a successful installation of macOS Monterey. You can follow this guide or watch the video tutorial to walk you through all the steps. The Windows 10 is used in this installation, but the steps are similar for Windows 11.
Step 2: Configure your Virtual Machine to Install macOS Monterey On Virtualbox On Windows
Here you will be creating the Virtual machine where the macOS Monterey will be booting from. Open the VirtualBox and click new, then select expert mode.
Provide a name for the virtual machine in the Name field, and you can leave the Machine folder location as the default path. The Type will be macOS OS X and the Version field below will be “macOS X 64-bit“. This should automatically populate.
Now we need to allocate RAM for the VirtualBox. I will go with 8 GB, which is recommended amount. Below in Hard disk, select create a virtual Hard disk now and click Create to generate the VM.
Next, specify the file location to save the Virtual Hard Disk, you can leave it as default. Provide the amount of storage for the virtual machine, we’re doing 150GB but the minimum amount is 80GB. Choose VDI (VirtalBox Disk Image) as the Hard disk file type, and for Storage on physical hard drive, leave it as Dynamically allocated. Then click the Create button to complete this step.
Step 3. Modify macOS Monterey Virtual Machine Settings
For this virtual machine to run properly the below set of instructions are critical to follow. Ensure you dont skip any of the options. After you create a Virtual machine, you’ll be back at the main page of VirtualBox.
Select the virtual machine we just created and click “Settings“.
Go to the System tab, uncheck the floppy drive since its not being used. Then make sure that the Extended Features are selected. The other settings can remain as default.
In the Processor tab, ensure you have at least 2 CPUs selected. The more you provide, the better, but stay within the green space.
Select the Display menu below next, increase Video Memory to 128 MB and the rest remain as default.
Click on the Storage menu. Click on the Empty disk icon, then on the right click on the CD icon and Choose a disk file.
Locate your macOS Monterey ISO image file and click the Open button
The last step is to go into the USB menu and enable USB 3.0. This allows the mouse and keyboard to run smoothly. This feature is activated after installing the VirtualBox Extension Pack. Click ‘Ok’ button and completely exit out of the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.
Step 4. Running VirtualBox Commands
This step is to convert the virtual disk we just created by using VirtualBox commands for macOS. Without these changes to the VituralBox configuration files, the virtual machine will boot up properly. To avoid this, run each individual command, one by one.
Caution: Ensure you know the name of the virtual machine before continuing.
Copy VirtualBox Commands below, or download it from here for easy editing.
|cd “C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\”|
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm “VM Name” –-cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct “MacBookPro15,1”
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct” “Mac-551B86E5744E2388”
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey” “ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc”
VBoxManage setextradata “VM Name” “VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC” 1
Edit the commands in notepad. Select File, then Edit and then Replace. For the replacement field, change VM Name to that of the Virtual Machine Name you created. In my case, I called it acOS Monterey’
Next, open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> CMD). Run as administrator to make sure you have the file access needed. Now and copy and paste the following lines one by one. One more thing; if you get any error, double-check your inputs before restarting the process.
Step 5. Installing macOS Monterey on Virtualbox on Windows
All the preparations for macOS Monterey have been completed for VirtualBox. We can finally start the installation of the operating system.
Open the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager, and select the virtual machine on the left, and click the start button. This will launch the virtual machine, and you will see a black screen with white text scrolling up.
The initial start may take a few minutes to run. The first option you will be prompted is to choose your language of choice.
To install macOS Monterey (macOS 12) on your VM, you first have to partition the Storage. For that, you have to go to the Disk Utility and click Continue.
On the left select the VirtualBox hard disk media, then click the Erase button to the right. Name can be left as default, but select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format. Click Erase.
Quit Disk Utility, in the main menu select the Install macOS 12 Beta and continue.
From here on you can install macOS Monterey with your personalized settings.
A few things to note. iCloud services and Siri are not functional in VirtualBox. There are a few work arounds, but its very inconsistent. I do not recommend activating those feature when you install the operating system. For a complete walkthrough of all the steps, including the full installation of macOS Monterey, see the below video with all the instructions done step by step.